Ocean Breezes Block #4

(Please do not pass these patterns on to your friends. Invite them to come get their own copy from this blog site. Once my Ocean Breezes series is finished, these WILL NOT be available for free. These will be in my Etsy shop for sale. Thank you for respecting my copyright!)

Another Wednesday, another Ocean Breezes block. Today I share the Whale. There are two blocks in the quilt and the whale points in two different directions. Let's see one of them.

Ocean Breezes Whale Block: 8" finished (make 2)

I used raw edge appliqué for the two simple patches. I used the blue sea fabric to audition my machine zigzag stitch. Background fabric is different, but I wanted to make sure that my thread matched my fabric.


I used freezer paper to trace my whale templates. First, the one who faces West (ie, left).

Template traced from full size pattern

Then, I needed to make a mirror image of the template for the one who faces East. The waves templates are also mirror images of each other. My fabric was first fused with fusible webbing on the wrong side - then cut out. I am using machine, raw edge stitching. Here are my two sets of patches for the two blocks.

Patches ready for two Whale Blocks

I have made both of the blocks and finished the quilt top. You just have to wait for the reveal!

In case you missed the first 3 blocks (and fabrics, etc), here are the links:

Next week will be our last block AND the quilt reveal. See you then!

Comments