Woven Ribbon Stars

If you're looking for a LARGE block to showcase some beautiful prints, then the Woven Ribbon Star could be the answer. I first designed this 20 years ago and later it appeared on the cover of Quilt Magazine when I was an editor there. Here's a closeup of my most recent block before borders. Just squares and "normal" triangles.

Woven Ribbon Star block: 24" x 24"

This was the center of my Galaxy of Stars quilt from 2006. This was a Block of the Month in years past.

Woven Star at the center of my Galaxy of Stars quilt

 Yes, it's a VERY BIG quilt! (the surrounding stars are a mere 12")

Galaxy of Stars quilt: 80" x 80"

Woven Ribbon Star using some solid reading prints and a polka dot border. I gave this one to a new baby.

Woven Ribbon Star. 24" block, 35" x 35" quilt

And it's so easy to piece (with NO bias edges, either). Here are two more quilts made with those big stars. Again, black polka dots for the setting squares and triangles and a very fun polka dot border. This also was given to a baby. These stitch up so quick!

Woven Ribbon Star #2


Here is one I made using some Kaffe Fassett fabrics. So much color and I really like that black print for the background. Note that my 4 outside borders are all different prints. They work because the colors are all very similar. This is what happens when you work with scraps (ie, I had four strips of 6" x wof in these fabrics - lucky for me, huh?)

Kaffe Fassett Woven Ribbon Star: 35" x 35"

For a child's quilt, consider what you have for a fun border print and then select your fabrics for the star. It couldn't be easier!

Thanks for stopping by. And, for us quilters, we have to remember we can reach for those stars!

Comments