Ocean Breezes Block of the Moment #1

Yes, I decided to offer this fun little quilt pattern as a Block of the Moment (I borrowed that phrase from the quilting Rock Star Judy Martin). Today I introduce the Supply List (basic; you must be familiar with general terms) and the first block: The Cabana (which uses foundation paper piecing).

Ocean Breezes fabrics to make the 32 x 32 quilt

I decided to stay with "blenders" as you can see. They read solid but have lovely texture. These are from the Bedrock Collection by Windham (with that renegade green Fairy Frost - Michael Miller).

When I wrote these calendars, I had to keep the instructions to a bare minimum. The calendar assumed the user was familiar with the various techniques used in the 4-5 DOZEN quilts contained EACH YEAR! Yes, 4-5 dozen projects with a few hundred blocks! I may not be famous, but I am prolific!

Ocean Breezes has 9 blocks: five appliqué, two rotary cut and stitched (Square in Square) and two foundation pieced (the Cabana). Here is the link to the BASIC Supply List. This is a great scrap buster. I've included a coloring chart for you to audition your own colors.

Note: If you appliqué by machine, you will need about 1/2 yard of fusible webbing (ie, Pellon Wonder Under).

The first block is the Cabana. It is paper pieced and the cutting sizes for the patches are on the foundation. You must be familiar with paper piecing to make this block. It's an easy block. The patch cutting sizes are LARGER than what you would need in traditional piecing. This ensures you have enough fabric to cover the intended patch size. You stitch; trim; add the next patch, and so on.

If you need a refresher course on the steps to Paper Piecing, do a search on this blog and I have quite a few photo heavy tutorials.

Here are the parts:

Cabana Block parts. Make two.

In process:
Block in process


Block finished:
Finished and trimmed Cabana block with papers still on the back

I tried to stay true to the colors in the calendar:


This block needs to print out full size. You will need to add 1/4" to the sides, using the finished seam line as your guide. This is because our standard paper size is 8.5" wide and didn't print the outer lines for the seams.

Make sure you add seams to the sides so your paper pattern measures 8.5"

Here is the link to the Cabana Block. Please DO NOT SHARE THIS. If you want your friends to play along, send them to my blog. I appreciate it!

As you make your blocks, I'd love to see them! See you in about a week or so for the next block.

Comments

  1. Thanks Debby, I like this beach scene especially for family that live in coastal areas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com