Easter Week Palm Quilts - Day 1

You don't have to celebrate Easter to enjoy looking at all the Hosannah/Palm quilts I've made over the years. This is based on the traditional (vintage) Palm block that was made with templates. OOOHHHH!

Here's a photo of the way this was presented about 100 years ago. This is from Ruby McKim (though she did not create the original).


And here's a cover of another quilt block booklet from that long ago. And that has a page with those pesky templates for making this!

Bible Favorites Blocks booklet from 100 years ago

I have made many, many blocks and about a dozen quilts using this lovely Palm block. I converted everything to foundation paper piecing and didn't have to worry about the points. The first versions I made were split down the center. Here's a digital file from 1999.

Foundation paper pieced Palm block in 2 sections

I even have a single block that I use when I teach this workshop. Can you see the diagonal seam running from top left to bottom right?


Here it is from the back:


Then I realized that it could be pieced in the same manner as an off-center log cabin. I got really excited because now I could design it in any size! Here is one of my early versions of this. I was using batiks. Probably early 2000s, published in Quilt Almanac. These were 6" blocks.


I kept with the brown batik theme and made a larger block into a quilt. Yes, you can make a quilt using 7 blocks! These are 7" blocks.


And one more quilt made with some Benartex fabrics as it appeared in my last book (Paper Piecing Perfect Points). I called it - Hosannah! 7" Blocks

Hosannah: 33" x 43"

You can see a few more quilts and blocks in my Etsy pattern listing: Palm Quilt. But stay with me this week and I'll show you even more right here! This is one of my favorite workshops to teach, too.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com