Zippers!

Not quilts, but they're made of fabric! I am volunteer teaching at my local library here in Herndon, VA. The man who manages the "Maker's Space" is out of his element, but he's learning! (No sewing experience whatsoever!) He wanted to have a zipper pouch class and I dug into my zipper stash and made some bags. And more bags. And even more!

Various zipper pouches

I decided I did NOT like putting the zipper in the top (as shown by the brown flower bag at top and light cream w/green on left). I don't like how they fit into the corners and really struggled. Did I think that this would be easy for the "zipper virgins" in class if I, a veteran of sewing for 60 years, couldn't do it?

I also didn't like the online tutorials! Way too confusing, way to wordy, and a few were like performances and not instruction! I decided to put the zippers in the front, about 2" down from the top. Very easy!

I pulled some fabrics to go with a lone 6" orange zipper. I had just a small bit of that orange unicorn print!

Far, Far Away Fabrics by Windham (2014)

Here's one I made as a class sample, demonstrating the steps along the way to the 4 students. This will be for my granddaughter. I made one for my grandson out of dinosaur fabric, but forgot to take a photo!

Unicorn zipper bag with 6" zipper

This little 6" zipper works perfectly with the unicorn print! Each bag is lined also. 

Bag with lining

I made one using the Twilight Collection by Windham and gave it to my daughter a few months ago. The blue fabrics are timeless!


Small pouch using Twilight fabrics

I ordered a batch of 9" zippers in rainbow colors and they should be here this week. I hope I get several navy blue because I still have several fat quarters of the Twilight. They are a heavier weight and feel almost like a soft canvas.

Some Twilight fat quarters

I will have fun pulling fabrics from my stash to work with the zippers. We are running this class again in May. The students last week were thrilled with their bags and will probably be back to do it again!

Will keep you posted. Have you done any sewing with zippers lately?

Comments

  1. No, I haven't, but your post makes me understand why. I don't like putting them in the top either! I don't know if I would have figured that out without your post. Thank you! The unicorn in orange is so cute. I just saw a bunch of zippers for sale in a quilt shop last week, and passed it right by, thinking, "No, uh-uh, not me." Now I may have to find them in a closer quilt shop (that one was 100 miles away) and think that through a little more. =) I have practically brand new zipper feet for my 25+ years old Viking and Bernina machines ... and maybe for the vintage ones, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this for making zipper pouches. I made some way back that I still am using with the zippers on top. Like the way the zippers are on the front on these. After I read your post yesterday, I was searching for something upstairs and came upon a bunch of zippers. Meant to be. Now have to look for fabric. Plenty of that available here too. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com