Go Fly (or Sew) a Kite!

I taught a very popular workshop for about 2 years based on the kite shape. It's got four points: two are 90 degrees, one is 120 degrees and one is 60 degrees. 

Let me show you:

Kites using 1930s prints

The good news is that when you sew 3 of them together, they form a triangle. The bad news is that it involves a y-seam! There's no getting around it.

3-Kite triangles using some 1930s prints

Here's my 1930s Stacked Kites quilt. Yes, I cut out a LOT of kites! Needs borders - maybe. What do you think? Very, very scrappy.

1930s Scrappy Stacked Kites: 44" x 52"

I also made one in Kaffe Fassett fabrics and quilted it in 2021. What do you think?

Kaffe Fassett Stacked Kites: 44" x 54"


Then, I had a lot of leftovers in the 1930s prints! What, you don't like leftovers? (That's a dirty word to my husband when he asks, "What's for dinner?")

Did you know that 6 kites will form a hexagon? Well, now you know!

6 kites form a hexagon!

I cut some Kona Snow setting triangles and put several blocks together into the 40" x 43" quilt center. Added borders. No y-seams here! The pieced hexagons finish to 8-1/2" high, so my triangles are cut 4-3/4". No pattern for this one (yet!). I had it quilted and it will be donated to my local guild's charity endeavors.

30s Kites to Hexagons: 51" x 54"

Check out the Stacked Kites pattern on Etsy - lots of color in these fun and scrappy quilts!

Comments

  1. I like the one at the top, even without borders. Not a fan of Fassett or his fabrics, but I like the pattern you did with them. Love the 30s hexagon arrangement at the bottom. Good scrap buster, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com