Animal Week: Day Four

Time for butterflies! You've seen many of these before. Who doesn't love the beauty and grace of a butterfly in flight?!

Here's a recent one I made from a vintage butterfly pattern. I've made it several times. First the blocks, which I made in 2016. I used some browns from my Kaffe Fassett collection.

Four Butterfly blocks: 10" x 10"

Then I finally put them into a quilt and quilted it last year. I call it "Taking Flight."

Taking Flight: 40" x 40"

I also made it a few years ago and donated it to a local children's charity:

Four more butterflies!

And a single butterfly up close:


And one more using this butterfly appliqué pattern. This was made with the Painted Wings Collection by Windham Fabrics. Also donated to a local children's charity.

Four butterfly blocks in happy colors!


I used butterflies in this next quilt I designed for Windham Fabrics and sold as a kit in the Keepsake Quilting Catalog. I call it Audrey's Garden (my oldest daughter is named Audrey).

Audrey's Whimsical Garden Quilt: 40" x 40"

You've seen many times my Dresden Plate Butterflies. Here they are again. The first one was made using authentic Feed Sacks from the 1930s.

Feed Sack Dresden Butterflies

Then I made one using brights on a black background. It appeared in my first book: Bold, Black and Beautiful (AQS 2004). Simple blocks.

And one more made using a reproduction 1930s collection by Windham. This was SO popular in the Keepsake Quilting Catalog. I was printing and mailing patterns for months! Who would have known so many folks wanted to make something with a 30s feel?

Storybook Vacation Butterflies

Let's see one block up close:

Single test butterfly block

Yes, now I sell this as a pdf in my Etsy store. Tomorrow I'll finish with a few more butterfly quilts.

Comments