1930s Good Luck Kids' Quilts

The pattern for this block is actually called "The Good Luck Quilt." It is vintage and originates in the early part of the 20th century (ie, probably 1930s). I have made it many times and it was a very popular workshop for a few years. I first published it in 2006 (or so) and she actually made the cover. I can say she's a Cover Girl!

Good Luck Quilt on the cover of Quick Quilts

Notice those blocks. Looks like I used some funky templates (as was done in the original pattern). But, I saw that it could be pieced in strips and then cut into squares and then . . .

Good Luck Quilt as it appeared in Supersize 'Em Quilts (Martingale, 2009)

I made a lot of samples for my classes. I finally put them together and had them quilted and donated them to a local kids' charity. Here is my blue and yellow 4 Block Good Luck quilt. As you cut and sew, you are making mirror image blocks. That's why I used sashings in these two quilts.

Blue and Yellow 4 Block Good Luck quilt

I cut some of my 1930s prints and made TWO 9-Block quilts. I put the blocks side by side (no sashing) and so I had to make a few more blocks in order to not have the mirror image blocks touching each other.

Here are my strip sets cut into wedges. Don't you just love those little dancing bears?!


Here are the two 39" x 39" quilts I got from all those wedges (I cut 90 of them!) Notice how the color is in relation to the cream.

1930s child's Good Luck quilt

And the mirror image quilt. Again, notice how the color patches are in relation to the cream. My guild buddy Jeannie C. put the blocks together (I had pieced the 18 blocks), quilted the tops and bound them. Some lucky children are going to enjoy seeing those dancing bears and bunnies and geese!

Second 9-Block Good Luck quilt

This is such a fun and quick way to bust your stash. I used a multitude of 1930s prints for these last 2 quilts. The cream fabric is Kona Snow (my favorite background). And, yes, I will be making some more. Check out the Etsy listing to see more info.

Comments

  1. I bet that took some real thinking to get the mirror image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, actually as you cut and piece one block you get the parts for the mirror image block. Or you can use templates (not me!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com