More Pentagon Wreaths

Oh, and here's on more I realized was in process from February of this year. I'm making another Pentagon Wreath combining a variety of prints in a log cabin style. The center is an Ana Griffin design from her Chinoiserie Collection (2012-13).

It's still in process, but all I'm doing is taking a lovely block and building outward with strips and squares.

Peacock Pentagon Wreath quilt center (in process)

What in the world does "Chinoiserie" mean?

Chinoiserie, a French term, signifying "Chinese-esque", and pronounced [ʃinwazʁi]) refers to a recurring theme in European artistic styles since the seventeenth century, which reflect Chinese artistic influences. It is characterized by the use of fanciful imagery of an imaginary China, by asymmetry in format and whimsical contrasts of scale, and by the attempts to imitate Chinese porcelain and the use of lacquerlike materials and decoration.

I first blogged about this collection in 2013. Can you see that regal peacock in the 3rd fabric down?!!

Chinoiserie fabrics by Ana Griffin

Here is that center block in process. I fussy cut/centered the peacock motif and then surrounded it with 10 2" pentagons (fabric wrapped around 2" paper pentagons). I machine stitched the center of the wreath to that peacock fabric (papers have been removed). Now it's pinned, ready for stitching to the 13-1/2" green background square.

Centered and stitched

Then it's time to trim away that green background. This reduces bulk and also shows you my stitching process. Cool, huh?

Back of Peacock Pentagon Wreath

I'll keep you posted on where I go with this. I've pulled out all sorts of fat quarters which will be my strips. Yes, I will piece these as I need them. I want to go at least 40" x 40" for the center. A real scrap buster, for sure!

Comments