New York Beauties

Taking a cue from the vintage New York Beauty, I was inspired to simplify the piecing from templates to foundation paper piecing. This is a class I am teaching this summer at the MAQ in Gettysburg, Pa. I worked on this quilt, off and on, for 8 years. I finally admitted that it was best for me NOT to do the quilting and I gave it over to Jane Hauprich and her master machine work!

New York Beauty: 35" x 35"

There are 3 parts to this quilt: the center Dogwood Blossom blocks, the borders of Dogtooth units, and the corner LeMoyne stars. Let me show you a few vintage quilts. This first one has the same parts as mine. Can you imagine all those templates?!

Orange and yellow New York Beauty

And one in blue and brown and orange. More detail.

Let's see some of the units for another color-way. I'm making this in Kaffe Fassett fabrics. These are the paper pieced Dogtooth units. It's certainly a lot easier to foundation paper piece these rather than work with templates. Look at those sharp points!

Dogtooth Border units

And how about the LeMoyne Star?

Paper Pieced LeMoyne Star

I put the units up on my design wall, but I don't like them. I took the Dogtooth units apart (the paper pieced points from the orange print strips). Too crazy looking! You can see my single Dogwood Blossom block in the center.


Here is what those Dogwood Blossom units look like before adding the two curved pieces. (Obviously, these units belong to another set of blocks!)


I had been piecing more of those Dogtooth units several years ago and finally decided to arrange them. I was hoping to use that pink print, but in the meantime, I used it for another quilt!

Paper pieced Dogtooth units


What do you think?

I gave them a border and it's ready to be quilted. Quite a sassy quilt, right?


So, if you're in the area and want an action and technique packed workshop and are not afraid of points, come take this New York Beauty class with me. It's Friday, July 15.

Comments

  1. Is the beautiful New York Beauty quilt a pattern you have for sale? I surely hope so. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com