Tell Me About Pre-Cuts: Day Two

From Jelly Rolls to Layer Cakes - this is making me hungry! A Layer Cake is a stack of 10" squares in a specific fabric collection. This way you can get just a taste of all the fabrics in a large collection without having to break the bank!

Let me show you what I mean. Here is a photo of a stack of 10" squares of Michael Miller's Marble collection. They sent me a layer cake. Yum, yum!

Layer Cake of Marble - forty-two 10" squares

Here's a set from Benartex using their Essence of Pearl Collection.

Layer Cake squares from Essence of Pearl

 I used these as the basis for my Big Block Hexagon quilt. I first removed a 2.5" strip from each 10" square. I had a plan!


And aren't these lovely strips? Yes, I have a plan for these, too.


I used the 7.5" x 10" rectangles as the basis for my Big Block Hexagons class. I shared about this a few years ago. I cut large hexagons from each of these rectangles.


Here's the quilt, Big Block Hexagons, that I made with these fabrics. It was a 2020 workshop.

Big Block Hexagons: 50" x 59"

Let's see a few more Layer Cake stacks. This is from the Festive Chickadees Collection by Benartex.

Festive Chickadees Layer Cake squares

I used these, with some other fabrics, to make one of my Twisted Hexagons quilts.

Twisted Hexagons quilt: 40" x 42" using a Festive Chickadees layer cake

And the last one for today, Social Butterfly (also by Benartex).

Social Butterfly 10" squares

And what did I do with them? I used them for a Bubbles and Hexagons quilt. I shared about these a few weeks ago.

Bubbles and Hexagons quilt using a stack of 10" squares

Click those links and you'll see several other versions of my Bubbles and Hexagons pattern. This is a true quilt of illusion because there are NO y-seams!

I've developed an entire series of workshops that make use of these, as well as 10-1/2" squares (which I cut myself). I've saved those for another day. See you next time!

Comments