Thankful Tuesdays: Birdhouse Quilt

This week I want to feature a quilt made by Sylvie N. of Canada. She wanted to make something special for a friend and former work colleague who was moving. He collects old wooden birdhouses and she felt that my set of paper pieced birdhouses would be the perfect solution.

Birdhouse Quilt by Sylvie N. of Canada

I have made all of these birdhouses at one time or another. I have taught workshops on how to paper piece a variety of these. Here is one quilt where I combined birdhouses and fabric panels from the Home Grown collection by Benartex. This was the basis for a workshop a few years ago.

Birds and Bees at Home

Here's Sylvie's Country Cabin Birdhouse almost finished. She used the small size that I have on my Paper Piecing CD (117 Paper Pieced Patterns).


Another quilt is from a student (or maybe a customer), sent to me in 2016. Nancy surrounded a beautiful panel with birdhouses. What do you think?


I shared another quilt made with my Birdhouses back in June (here's the blog post). It's one of my favorites and the woman I gave it to was delighted (which made me really happy!)  Do you remember? These birdhouses are 10" high and I alternated them with simple rectangular Cobblestone blocks.

Birdsong Quilt using 3

And I had one more large panel from the Home Grown collection and I made four 10" high birdhouses to go with it. Squeezed the very last of the fabrics out and this 44" x 44" quilt will surely bring a smile to someone soon (once I quilt it).

Home Grown with 10" high birdhouses

Check out the super-sized Birdhouses in my Etsy shop. Lots of pictures!

And many thanks to Sylvie and Nancy for sharing their renditions of my birdhouse patterns. Do you have a quilt you've made from one of my workshops or just a pattern? Please send me a photo so I can share it here.

Comments