Tree of Life Quilts

Most Westerners know about the Garden of Eden and what happened there because of the fruit of a tree! But, did you realize that there wasn't just one tree in that Garden, but two?!

It's said that Eve ate from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. But, God was really concerned that she (or Adam) might also eat from the Tree of Life and then live forever (and wreak havoc over the earth). That's why He kicked them out of the Garden and put angel sentries at the entrance.

But, I digress. This isn't about the Bible, but about the vintage block called the Tree of Life. Many of our quilt blocks have a connection with Bible stories and characters and this is no exception. Here is my tiny Tree of Life quilt made in 1998! Yes, I have that date correct. Can you believe it?

Tree of Life Quilt: 12-1/2" x 12-1/2"

Block size in quilt above is 9" x 9". Those pieced triangles are 1-1/4"! That was when I didn't know any better! I don't like working with such tiny pieces (but those points are really sharp!)

This next quilt was made about 20 years ago and currently hangs in my office/studio. The pieced triangle units are larger at 2". The block (without the setting triangles) measures 10" x 10".


Tree of Life Banner: 24" x 51"

The next is just a block. It appears in my Quilter's Block a Day Calendar, which has both the 6" and 12" sizes. It technically isn't a Tree of Life, just a Tall Pine Tree.

Tall Pine Tree

And this is my very favorite Tree of Life quilt. I made this about 25 years ago as a result of a local quilt shop's block of the month (12 Flowers). The blocks are 8" and I added a few floating butterflies in the four corners. I had to add spacer strips in order to make everything fit together. I could never pattern this quilt without pulling out my hair (though I have patterned the blocks).

The Tree of Life is 27" x 27" and those pieced triangles are 2" x 2". This whole quilt is 53" x 53".

Tree of Life Quilt: 53" x 53"

I hope you've enjoyed seeing my Tree of Life quilts - both large and small.

Comments

  1. I have enjoyed seeing your Tree of Life quilts. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing ALL your quilts. They are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! I recently looked back and some of my earlier quilts and didn't really realize how I had learned and grown in such a short few years. <3 Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com