Windham Wednesdays with Potpourri (again!)

Potpourri has been out for a little over a year. But I wasn't done sewing with it and so kept cutting and stitching. I've shared a few blocks already (and even a quilt!) These are my Pentagon Wreath blocks that I knew would invite a unique assembly.


There are 25 different skus in the collection. Here's how I grouped the fabrics. So many lovely colors with such sweet prints!

Potpourri fabrics before I started to slice and dice

I used some of the fat quarters to make this Twisted Hexagons quilt. Yes, with ONLY fat quarters (except for the binding. Do you like how I pieced the border (out of necessity, of course)? I donated this to a local charity that gives these lovely things to children in need.

You can see some of the steps I used in making these blocks here: Twisted Hexagons with Potpourri.

Twisted Hexagons: 33" x 38"

Then I put those blocks at the top of the page together and pulled in some REALLY old fabric that I'd been hoarding for about 25 years - it was too pretty to cut up - and used it for the border. I had to get creative for those border corners - and it worked!

Potpourri Pentagon Wreath quilt: 42" x 42"

I made some other Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks using English Paper piecing and finally had enough for a quilt center. These are 14" blocks and, yes, you can make a quilt using only 5 blocks! Very scrappy. Not sure what I'll use for a border and that dark green block at the bottom is a bit shocking, but some child will love seeing the flowers and dragonflies, right?

Potpourri Garden Blocks: 28" x 41"

I'll dig around in my stash for a fun border print and then use this in my English Paper Piecing workshops. I still have some fabrics remaining, but I think I'll give it a rest for now.

Take a visit to the Windham web site and check out the Look Book of all the gorgeous things Laura Heine has designed using her Potpourri collection. She is a true artist and I know you'll love seeing what she's done.

Comments