Christmas in July, Day One

"Oh, the weather outside is frightful . . ." Hot as blazes here in Northern Virginia. But we always seem to like to talk about Christmas in July when it comes to quilts. I'm adding a few posts for Hanukkah, too! I looked in my stash and see that I don't have a lot of holiday fabrics, but I sure do have a lot of holiday quilts!

First, my Diadem quilt. That's the vintage name of this block, traditionally made using templates. Can you see those pointy corners? Templates? Not me!

The Diadem Quilt. 14" blocks

The centers are large (cut 9") - a perfect place to feature a lovely motif. I've actually made this quilt several times (click the link to see all of them). Those "pointy" corners are paper pieced. I've made this pattern with outer space fabrics, Kaffe Fassett prints, traditional browns and pinks and just a few are blocks waiting for a new home.

Here's a second quilt that is one of my absolute favorites. I call it Magic Triangles. The fabrics are so beautiful (an older Blank Fabrics collection). This is a variation of the Sugarloaf block. There are no y-seams. That clock has been to Africa and back. My dad made it for me about 50 years ago and I took it with me when I was teaching school in Swaziland (and met my dear husband and married him there).

Magic Triangles
And one more for today. I shared this last week or so. It is the first of many One Day Lone Star quilts. I like to hang this in December. Yes, as you can see, the prints from the two quilts are the same.

One Day Lone Star. 35" block
I have several other Lone Star patterns in my Etsy shop. I'll be back with more quilts this week. Why not run and check out your own Christmas fabric stash. I'm sure I have a FREE PATTERN or two that I'll be sharing.

Comments

  1. I really love that Magic Triangles quilt! Hope you put that one up for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Magic Triangle quilt is WOW. Different for a change. I never did follow the rules. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debby! I'm joining in with the other two commenters - I adore the Magic Triangle quilt. Lovely. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all of them, but the Magic Triangle quilt really catches my eye.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com