Fussy Cutting - What's That?

Most days I let my rotary cutter make the decision on what gets to peek out of the patches I cut. Most days it really doesn't matter. BUT - when you don't want to cut the head off of a little chickadee . . .

English Paper Pieced block using 1-3/4" hexagon papers

. . . you find out what size you need to make a template to isolate the motif. I had this lovely Festive Chickadee fabric and found that a 1-3/4" hexagon would work with the patch as shown. I cut a freezer paper hexagon to the size I would need (includes 3/8" seams). Then I cut a window out of the center. It's easy to iron it into place for cutting.

Single motif

Here is what I mean by cutting out a "window" from the template. I love using freezer paper because I can reuse it several times.


I made several quilts with this special collection. Each time I made a window template for "fussy cutting." I've shared them before.


Here is one more quilt where I made sure that chickadee was right in the center of my patch! These are 5-1/2" high center hexagons in my Twisted Hexagons quilt. This is waiting for a special little child.

Twisted Hexagons: 40" x 42"

So, go take a look at your own fabric stash and maybe think about fussy cutting some motifs. I'll be back again in a day or so for more fussy cutting tips.

Comments