Summer Solstice Quilts

Today is the longest day of the year - Summer Solstice - when the daylight hours seem like forever (and we love it). Windham Fabrics released a gorgeous collection of fabrics called Solstice in late 2020 that really captivated my quilter's heart! Here are just a few of the prints designed by Sally Kelly.

Solstice has 28 prints!

You can see the blocks I made in last year's blog post. Simple Square in a Square and Circle blocks.

In case you haven't seen my SpiroGlyphics quilt, here is a recent finish which I donated to my local guild's charity endeavors. I used all my samples from the workshop (since I've retired it). Isn't this fun?@

SpiroGlyphics quilt: 30" x 30"

I put my Solstice blocks all together last week and this is what I came up with. Same center as the quilt above; I added inner and outer borders. I just love this!

Solstice SpiroGlyphics quilt: 40" x 40"

But, along the way, I made another quilt. This is my Nosegay quilt using Solstice. I had to get creative with the setting square and triangles since I only had fat quarters! I also dipped into my Fantasy Collection (also by Sally Kelly, so the fabrics work together beautifully).

Solstice Nosegay blocks

Using just fat quarters, I added some border strips. But, I really don't like it and am currently taking them off (can you hear me?) I found some other border fabric that I like better, but here it is before I rip.

New borders are coming!

I made an extra block without the cone. As you can see, the Nosegay block is simply a Lone Star with a cone in one of the sections. Again, Fantasy and Solstice play nicely together.

Simple paper pieced Lone Star block: 12"

I made another set of blocks with Solstice, but they aren't put together into a quilt center. Yes, this will be quilt #3! Do you remember these blocks? They are my Pentagon Wreaths.

Four 11" Pentagon Wreath blocks

I made a total of 8 blocks and I set them the same way as I did my Foxwood Friends quilt. I'm almost done with the quilt top and hope to post it by the end of the week. See you then! And enjoy the Summer hours of sunshine today!

Comments