Magazine Cover Quilts, Day One

My husband once asked me: "Are you one of the famous quilters?" (He was trying to find a way to describe to his business acquaintances what I do in my world.) I laughed and laughed. Even though he's watched my journey these past 29 years, earning an income by making quilts and publishing them, it was hard to find a niche that made sense. I said: "No, I'm just a PROLIFIC quilter!"

My Dresden Quilt from 1998

The fun part about having my quilts on our magazine covers (I was an editor with Quilt for 14 years) was that they PAID me a very lovely bonus for each one. Other magazines gave me an extra copy of the magazine! I've had TWO DOZEN magazine covers in those 14 years and I loved it!

Many covers included several quilts; others had one spectacular beauty. This Quilt Almanac 1998 magazine cover showcased 5 quilts with my Amish Dresden Plate Quilt at the bottom right. Here she is in her entirety.

Amish Dresden Plate

This was made using a 30 degree wedge. We patterned it inside with a paper template. I don't think the acrylic rulers were on the market at that time. But we did share the easy way of turning those points by machine and NOT by hand (the traditional way). And I interfaced that circle to turn those edges under and machine stitched it to the center of the Dresden Plate blocks. No fiddly hand sewing for me!

Check out my post from a few months ago that details how I stitch the ends of my dresden wedges:

Fiesta Sugar Skull wedges turned by machine

I used the same wedge (30 degree) to make my Sunshine Butterflies. Check it out in my Etsy shop.

Keepsake Butterflies using a 30 degree wedge

Here's one more from several years later. As you can see, my quilt is the COVER GIRL and shares none of her spotlight with anyone else! This is a class I'm teaching this summer and fall for the Sewing Expo. I called it Cloisonné Diamonds. My editor called it "Diamond Bouquet." The class is called Diamonds and Four Patch. Those are 60 degree diamonds and easily cut with standard rulers. NO TEMPLATES!

Quilt Magazine 2006

This quilt also appears in my second book, Supersize 'Em Quilts. I have made this quilt a few more times. They yearned to become cover girls, too, but alas - they'll have to settle for being classroom samples!

Diamonds and Four Patch lap quilt

I'll be back tomorrow to show you more of the Cover Girls. I am thankful for all those bonuses; they helped put my 3 daughters through college!

Comments

  1. Love diamonds and four patch. I made some dresdens blocks from hubby's neck ties!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've taken apart some of my husband's silk ties over the years. None lately, but when he's ready to get rid of them I'll be there waiting!

      Delete
  2. I remember your quilts in Quilt magazine and a couple of others. They always inspired me to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved what I did with Quilt Magazine. My senior editor let me sew whatever I wanted. Or she would hand me a pile of fabric and say: "Make something." And she knew I would and everyone was happy. Those were the days, huh?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com