Michael Miller Mondays and a Sneak Peek

I have been sewing since I was about 12 - decades! Garments. Home dec. Kids' clothes. Even altered my husband's clothes (ie, suits - yikes!) And, yes - I even sewed my wedding dress (but that's because I was living in Africa and that was about the only way I could wear a traditional dress!)

But, I am a Minky virgin! Never sewed with it other than putting two pieces together and stitching them up into a doll quilt.

First Minky adventure

I'm nervous but ready to take on my next sewing adventure. Michael Miller invited me to play with their latest Minky fabrics and this is making me sweat some bullets! This stuff is so - FLUFFY!

Beary Soft Minky fabrics from Michael Miller

And stretchy and thick, but OH SO SOFT! Yes, I sewed a lot of polyester in the 60s and 70s. That was just about all we had. This is 100% polyester, so I have to put a different hat on and approach it from a very different angle than the 100% cottons I've been sewing and quilting with for the past 35 years!

One last teaser pic of what I'll be working on. This is for a Christmas in July post. Stay tuned.

3 Minky fabrics from A Gnome to Fa La

Have you ever sewn with Minky? What tips would you share with me? I have some ideas I've gleaned from the internet (ie, use a walking foot; pin, pin, pin; longer stitch length; size 14 needle; bigger seams.) But I'm still nervous. You can bet I'll be making small samples. But these are going to turn into some fun things for my grandkids!

Remember, at the end of June Blogger will retire the email feed. If you wish to continue getting these posts, click the link OR the image and it will take you to a simple sign-up using Follow.it. As always, I am honored that you continue to visit and get inspiration from all the fun I have playing with my fabric!

Click the here to subscribe to my posts

Comments

  1. I am scared to death of it!!!!!! Ihave heard pin, pin, and pin. I let my longarmer deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, both the front AND back of my projects will be Minky. I'll keep you posted on my fear level!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! I'm terrified of Minky too!! Some of my blogging friends have used it on the longarm for backing! EEEP! I'm not that brave. Have fun. I look forward to seeing your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debby! I have used Minky on the back of at least two baby quilts and not a single issue with it. I don't have a longarm so I quilted them on my DSM. I took care not to stretch it as I layered it. Beyond that, it was a dream to quilt - I started in the center and worked out to the edges. I suspect you'll do just fine! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com