A Few Dozen Leftover Log Cabin Blocks

I think things happen in my sewing room when I'm not around. Fabric and blocks multiply! Does that happen in your sewing room?

41 more blocks than I needed! (They're for sale in my Etsy shop)

Here is a quilt I made several years ago and had it published in McCall's Quilting Magazine. I call it Pixie Sticks. Actually, they called it Pixie Sticks; I called it Candy Stripes Log Cabin. But, hey, they paid me so I didn't really care!

Pixie Sticks made with 6" Log Cabin Blocks

I love sewing with reproduction 1930s prints and pulled together a stack of candy colored fabrics and some white on white and just started sewing some Off Center Log Cabin blocks. These are small: only 6"! There are a lot of logs in these blocks. But, oh so yummy, don't you think? Here is what one maker sent me with her Pixie Sticks in process:

Blocks in process by Renee K.

Notice that some blocks begin with a colored print center square and others begin with a white square. This will give the movement to the quilt center when they are put together. (Or you may want to call it DIZZY!)

Here are four of the blocks together. Two with the white corner square and two with the blue.

Four 6" blocks

Here are those 41 leftover blocks. Can you believe it?!

41 Leftover Off Center Log Cabin Blocks and extra fabric

And a flat shot of my quilt. Yes, those are white borders and I pieced the binding.

A flat shot of my Pixie Sticks quilt

And the photo from the McCall's magazine. This was beautifully quilted by Connie Gallant, my trusty longarm quilter.

Pixie Sticks as it appeared in the McCall's magazine

I found the leftover blocks that I made and I have 41! Enough to make this quilt and some leftover. Or make a bigger quilt. I've decided to sell them and am including about 1/2 yard of the white and dozens of pre-cut colored strips. Check it out! 41 Pixie Sticks Log Cabin Blocks and Fabric. FREE POSTAGE IN THE USA, TOO!

Comments

  1. I can easily believe you found 41! For a long time, I made six inch log cabin blocks as leader-enders. I used scrap strips and just trimmed at 3, 5 and 6.5 inches, and called it good. One day when I counted them I had 300! I made several twin quilts for soldiers, and still make those when I don't have other leader-ender projects. Maybe it's time to count again. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com