Winding Ways The Old Fashioned Way

I came across a Winding Ways quilt I made in 2005 the "old fashioned way" using pre-cut patches for the 12 block units. These were Fossil Fern flannels that were laser cut by the John Flynn Company and all I had to do was sew them together. Twelve patches. For one block. Gulp!

Winding Ways quilt center

The beauty of the pre-cut patches is that they had notches along the sides to make sure you lined everything up perfectly. And it worked! Here is the back of another Winding Ways block and you can see where the notches are and how they are pressed. Perfect!

Back of another Winding Ways block with notches

This is what just half of the block patches look like! Every one is curved.


Some blocks in process:

Winding Ways blocks in process

I decided to make 16 blocks using some Kaffe Fassett fabrics. Here are my first 10 which I combined with some shot cottons.

10 Winding Ways blocks. 10" x 10" finished

And here is my quilt top arranged in an asymmetrical manner. What do you think? I used Kaffe Fassett prints and solid shot cottons. I pieced this the old fashioned way, too! The blocks are 10" and with the two sashings for each block, they measure 12" x 12".

Winding Ways Quilt top: 62" x 72" (for sale in my Etsy shop)

You can find this quilt top in my Etsy store! I am destashing my dozens of quilt tops and this one begged to go first.

Comments