Thankful Tuesday: Student Waterwheels Quilts

My Waterwheels quilt began in early 2000 with some Fossil Ferns and a simple paper pieced pattern that I called Spinning Blades. I had this in a suitcase that was stolen in 2005 (along with 30 other quilts). I like to say they are hanging on that Giant Quilt Rack in the Sky!

Spinning Blades

I remade the pattern and taught it several times recently. I'll show you my class sample, but first: here is one in green by Sharon D. from a class I taught in 2019. Thank you, Sharon, for making this in such beautiful colors!

Spinning Waterwheels by Sharon D.

I remade it in 2007 using some greens and blues and split up the blocks using sashing. It appeared in my last book, Paper Piecing Perfect Points. I gave this away to my grandson's preschool teacher, Miss Jamal.

Green Spinning Waterwheels. 54" x 76"

I pulled blacks and whites and reds for a new sample. I added sashing. I wasn't sure about it. I made another and then I really knew that I didn't like the sashing - it interfered with the blades, so I took them apart.

Spinning Waterwheels block

I did a picture-heavy blog tutorial on making this block here. Scroll toward the bottom of that long post to see all the steps.

I proceeded to make 16 blocks and then to go further and make 36 blocks! Here is a 16 block one from a student named Cheryl - yes, no sashing!

16 block quilt from Cheryl B.

Then Vicki C. sent me her finished quilt made with 36 blocks. What a lot of piecing!

Spinning Waterwheels by Vicki C.

And one more quilt from a student. I'm sorry I didn't note her name! She arranged the 36 blocks in an asymmetrical manner. What do you think?

Beautiful Waterwheels quilt by 2018 student

Here is my class sample and the basis for my Spinning Waterwheels quilt pattern. Yes, I did a LOT of piecing to make this 36 block quilt! (And check out the steps to making this here.)

Spinning Waterwheels Quilt. 8" blocks. 48" x 48" quilt center

Thanks to my students for sending me their creations. It does a teacher's heart good to know that I've inspired you!

Comments

  1. How beautiful each one is! I even like the one in RWBlack with the sashing. I do like the asymmetrical quilt. It's just symmetrical in a different way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com