How Many Sisters Do You Have?

I am one of four sisters (born in second place). I taught a workshop last weekend called Seven Sisters Variation. When I taught this several years ago, this was my class sample. It was pieced without any traditional y-seams!

Seven Sisters

I also made a second class sample in batiks (still unquilted).

7 Sisters in batiks

A student in one of the classes I taught told me the reason she took the class was because she was one of 7 sisters and was determined to make one quilt for each of them! Can you imagine?

Here is a mini quilt I used my Pfaff embroidery machine to create about 25 years ago - those 7 stars are shining!


All of the pieced quilt units are either a diamond or triangle - and each is easily rotary cut! 

Rotary cut diamonds from the Addison fabric collection by Windham

Here is a photo from a guild after they finished theirs from my workshop - so many happy quilts and smiling faces!

Happy students with their finished Seven Sisters quilts

How is my Seven Sisters Variation different? Well, I used the 6 pointed stars and then added 2-1/2" strips to the 6 units. I had some very happy - and successful - students on Friday!

7 Sisters Variation Quilt. Block Size: 16" x 18". Quilt Size: 51" x 61"

Here are some of the happy blocks (no y-seams!)

7 Sisters Variation blocks

And another quilt sample made with a lot of scrappy color . . .

7 Sisters Variation using a lot of color

One final photo is that of a vintage Seven Sisters quilt made using diamonds, elongated half-hexagons and big yellow triangles. What do you think? Are you up to making one like that?


Vintage 7 Sisters quilt

Comments

  1. I've always loved this pattern and your way of making it makes complete sense. I have a top made by a great aunt when she was 91. I started quilting it maybe 30 years ago, but then life happened, and it has never been finished. One of these days, I will finish it, I hope. It has lots of blues in it. I like the one you did with strips around it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com