Kaffe Fassett House Quilt #1

 I saw a Kaffe Fassett quilt in the Glorious Patchwork book (1997) that inspired me to make my own version of houses. His is composed of strip pieced bottoms and various triangles for the roofs. I like to get my fabric to do as much work as possible, so I pulled out several of his striped fabrics and this is what I got.
My version of a Kaffe House Quilt: 54" x 64"
 
First, I had to determine what size I wanted my houses. I didn't want them 5" x 10" as are in the book. And I composed the roofs in a very different manner. I settled on a 6" x 9" house/roof/sky combo. My roofs are simply Flying Geese units. I cut 7-1/4" squares of "roof" fabric into 4 equal sized triangles, so I had 4 roofs per print.

Flying Geese units for roofs

You can also see some of the main house striped fabrics. I cut these 6-1/2" x 6-1/2".

6-1/2" squares of a variety of stripes

But, looking at the fabric I selected for sky fabric left me less than enthusiastic.

Several house blocks sewn with blah sky fabric.

I made 2 dozen blocks and I still didn't like them. So, do you know what I did? Yes, I did! I took them apart! And found some bluer sky fabric and started all over again. Sometimes you just have to do things like that. Do you think I would have liked them better if I had sewn all 65 of them?!!

The ones below use the same roof fabric because I'm going to use them either in the very center of my quilt or on the outside in some way. Yes, I typically operate without a full plan.

I have between 18 and 24 of these with matching roofs

And here are 11 different prints for the roofs. This gives me a total of at least 65 blocks. I ended up with 59 blocks as shown in the quilt top above.

11 different prints for the roofs. I have 4 each of these matching pairs

This is also one of those quilt tops that I am de-stashing from my home. All Kaffe prints except for the blue sky fabric. You can find it here in my Etsy shop: Houses Quilt Top. Sold!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com