More Diamonds - How Rich Am I?

Sometimes I cut way more patches than I can use in one quilt! What? You've never gotten carried away? When I was teaching my 7 Sisters Variation quilt last weekend I realized I had dozens of extra diamonds that were left over. But, I think they were for a completely different quilt!

More Diamonds from the Windham Mimosa fabric collection

Diamonds from the Regency Dandy collection

Yes, these are rotary cut using the 60 degree diamond lines on my standard acrylic ruler.

The traditional Baby Blocks quilt uses ONLY diamonds to create (just like the 7 Sisters quilts I shared the other day). Here is a simple one I made using the dreaded y-seam. I donated this to my local quilt guild and their charity endeavors. I wish I still had it for a class sample!

6 Block Baby Blocks using y-seams

But, I decided to split up some of the diamonds into triangles and then I eliminated the y-seams! I first did this in 1996 with an article I published for Quilt Magazine. Here is a small one made using those Mimosa diamonds above.

Updated Baby Blocks quilt. 36" x 36"

Then I decided to make one using larger diamonds cut from some Kaffe Fassett fabrics.

4-1/2" diamonds

I used up most of the diamonds to make this quilt.

My Diamonds Have the Blues: 60" x 60"

And, because I had a few dozen more diamonds left over, I put them into this Floating Diamonds quilt. This layout and pattern is included with the quilt above!

Floating Diamonds quilt: 59" x 60"

So many diamonds. As I unpacked my suitcases from teaching, I first grabbed the set of leftover diamonds from the Seven Sisters class - I want to play some more!

Comments

  1. Such versatility I hadn't imagined, which is why I need your imagination! =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com