Twins Week 2, Day 3

This is a repost from last March. I've even surprised myself with so many versions of this quilt!

How in the world have I made so many of these Gretchen quilts? Do you know what I'm talking about? The updated version of the vintage block called, well, Gretchen!


My latest one is made from 16 different Kaffe Fassett fabrics and some awesome shot cottons. I had 7 blocks as samples for when I taught this class 2 years ago as a workshop. I tend to make a LOT of class samples so my students can get an idea of how a pattern looks dressed up in different colors.

Scrappy Gretchen Quilt: 45" x 45"

I found these blocks I made about 2 years ago. They looked lonely. I thought, "Why not make some more?" Ha! I did. This batch is slightly smaller than the group of 7, but I stitched them together so my students could see how that looks.

4 Gretchen Blocks

Then I dug into my scrap basket and cut squares of prints with squares of solids (in this case, shot cottons).

Two sizes of squares for the Gretchen Block
Let me show you the vintage block with TEMPLATES!

Kansas City Star pattern, 1932
Now, let me show you the first quilt I made using this updated version. I think I made it in the early 2000s.
Red and Black Gretchen
 And then one made for Red Rooster fabrics:

25 block Gretchen Quilt
I resized the block for an appearance in Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks magazine. Such fun sunflower fabrics by Windham. It's the Gazebo Collection.

Gretchen 4 blocks
And then, because I love all things in 1930s fabrics, I did a digital mockup. What do you think?

Gretchen in 1930s prints
I made one in pink and green. I donated it to a local children's charity (a friend longarm quilted this).
Two color Gretchen Quilt
And one of my favorites made using my special fabrics from when I lived in Africa. These blue and red fabrics are over 40 years old. Aren't they wonderful?

30 block Gretchen Quilt made with authentic African shwe-shwe fabrics
And a few of the blocks up close. These were my class samples, too.



OK. Maybe I have another one, but I'm not aware of it. But, can you believe I have so many?!

You can find the pattern for the 25 block green and orange quilt AND also the 16 block Kaffe Fasset print quilt at my Etsy shop. Once you see the method (lots of photos and good illustrations), you will see how easy it is to make any size you want! The 12 page pdf also includes a special trick on extending the size of your border fabric without piecing it!

Thanks for stopping by!

Comments

  1. I would never guess the Kaffe Fasset fabric version from looking at the traditional pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com